Toronto Port Lands Company – Internship Program
TPLC provides undergraduate and graduate students with work experience internships throughout the year. We welcome students who are seeking an opportunity to develop skills through mentorship and experiential practice and who are prepared to contribute to TPLC’s operations, goals, and objectives as the largest property owner in the Port Lands. These internships will be of particular interest to those in Planning, Environmental Studies, Marketing, Accounting, and other related disciplines. Work terms are generally for 8-week periods. Interested parties are invited to send a cover letter and resume, stating your background and area of concentration, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Be a part of North America’s most ground-breaking transformational real estate team.
The City of Toronto owns one of the most expansive, diverse and valuable real estate portfolios in North America (8,446 properties and over 106.3 million square feet), with significant operational ($1.1 billion) and capital ($1 billion) expenditures per year, and an estimated assessed value of $27 billion.
Toronto City Council is moving forward with a new city-wide real estate service delivery model that centralizes all real estate activities and integrates key functions to enable better coordination and execution of real estate strategies. The new model will launch on January 1, 2018, and will include:
- The current City of Toronto real estate services and facilities management divisions, with an expanded city-wide scope and mandate, including the execution and coordination of day-to-day real estate transactions and facilities management; and
- A new agency – temporarily named the Toronto Realty Agency – to manage the city’s real estate strategy, develop city buildings and lands for municipal purposes and deliver client-focused real estate solutions to city divisions, agencies and corporations.
Part of the new agency will be formed by industry real estate experts and other city entities engaged in city-building initiatives. The new agency is undergoing a branding exercise that will result in a new name and enable an enhanced market presence.
This is a full-time continuing position.
SCOPE OF POSITION
Working within the new agency and reporting to the Acting Senior Lead, Client Relationship Management, the position will be responsible for working to establish the overall real estate strategic framework for each client (stakeholder) entity. Working with the Portfolio and Asset Strategy team in the Agency, the real estate strategic frameworks will be used to help develop the overall Strategic Plan for the Agency. Ideally the incumbent would have some experience working with the City, or other municipalities and/or the broader public sector, in addition to a high level understanding of real estate strategies.
This position will also be the point of contact for all senior staff at the City and associated Agencies, Boards and Commissions (ABC’s) with respect to their individual real estate requirements along with being responsible for relationship management and conflict resolution. The incumbent will leverage their deep institutional knowledge as well as program-specific and real estate asset class expertise for high performance delivery to each client entity.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as single point of contact for all clients of the City-Wide Real Estate Model and be responsible for coordination with all of the clients within any assigned portfolio.
- Responsible for contributing to establish principles, practices and guidelines that an organization follows to proactively engage with clients and stakeholders, in order to enhance the overall customer experience and maximize service delivery.
- Work with stakeholders to help establish their overall strategic framework and their specific real estate priorities, inclusive of facilities management, property management and asset and portfolio management strategic needs.
- Establish a client specific Stakeholder Engagement Plan for all stakeholders to identify short, medium and long-term real estate needs.
- Use in-depth knowledge of real estate strategies coupled with an understanding of City priorities and desired City program outcomes to identify real estate opportunities or solutions with respect to economies of scale, co-location, community hubs, city-building, etc.
- Work with the clients to assist in determining what each client’s business requirements are and provide advice and guidance on any identified opportunities or solutions.
- Maintain databases and inventories based on individual stakeholder feedback and review through a City-wide lens.
- Attend public meetings and events to represent the Agency to provide or obtain information on planning matters. May be required to attend or represent the Agency at City Council, Community Councils and Standing Committees.
POSITION PROFILE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum undergraduate degree preferred combined with varied and practical experience in real estate strategy and analysis. Specialist and/or graduate degree in any of these fields would be preferred. Additional designations in any of these fields would be considered an asset.
- Considerable senior strategic, operational or transactional leadership experience in the Real Estate field or a demonstrated equivalent combination of transferrable competency, experience and skills.
- Minimum 10 years of real estate industry experience at a professional is required; a history of work in the public sector would be considered an asset.
- Advanced knowledge and working experience in the inter-disciplinary areas of real estate/land economics, valuations, and urban planning and related work experience at a management level.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with municipal services, governance and policies, and/or working with the broader public sector to provide creative and insightful solutions.
- An understanding and familiarity of municipal planning processes including the Official Plan and civic procedures concerning community planning and the design of public properties/spaces.
- Advanced skills in quantitative and qualitative research, analysis, methodologies, and industry information sources with proven experience at drawing key implications and recommendations from research findings.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, at a professional level with senior management, consultants, and staff from other divisions, other agencies, and the public.
- Demonstrated proficiency in conflict resolution in complex, multi stakeholder situations.
The TRA is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Candidates can request accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the hiring process.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to send their resume and cover letter in confidence to email@example.com quoting the job title in the subject line. Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies at this time please.